Staying Safe When Your Car Breaks Down
A vehicle breakdown can happen at any moment — so it’s important to know what to do in this situation. No matter if you’re driving an old or new Buick in Bensalem, familiarize yourself with these steps to keep yourself safe in the event of a breakdown.
- Turn on your hazard lights. The first thing you should do in the event of a breakdown is to turn your hazard lights on. Your hazard lights tell other drivers to be cautious when passing your vehicle, which decreases the chance of a collision.
- Pull off the road. Use any remaining power in your vehicle to pull off to the right-hand side of the road. If possible, position your car as far away from traffic as you can and park on a flat surface.
- Turn on your emergency brake. As soon as your vehicle is in a safe position, turn on your emergency brake. This will prevent your car from rolling into traffic while you call for help.
- Stay in your vehicle. If you’re on a highway or busy road, don’t exit your vehicle to assess the damage or make mechanical repairs. If you must get out of your car for safety reasons, exit through the passenger door and stay away from the flow of traffic.
- Call for help. If you have a membership with a roadside assistance service (like AAA), call their hotline or access the company’s app to request help. If you don’t have a subscription with a roadside assistance service, contact your insurance company — they will be able to arrange a tow truck you. If you aren’t sure who to call or you cannot access the number for your insurance agent, call 911 or your local police non-emergency line if known.
Are you dealing with frequent breakdowns? The massive selection of new Buick cars in Bucks County available from Faulkner Buick GMC Trevose can help you find a safer ride. Give us a call today at 267-984-4658 to learn more!