What Do the Lights on Your Car Mean?
It’s happened to everyone at some point or another — you’re driving down the highway when suddenly a light flips on on your dashboard. Should you be panicked? The answer might depend on which light is on. Let’s take a look at some dashboard warnings you might see on your vehicle and what they mean.
- Battery alert. Your battery light looks like a red box with a plus and minus sign inside of it. Your battery alert might come on if your car’s battery is dying or if there’s an issue with your battery cable. In most cases, you should have your car taken in for service right away.
- Check engine light. Your check engine light looks like a small square with knobs and turns coming out of it. The check engine light might come on for a wide variety of reasons, including everything from overheating to a gas cap that’s not fully secure in place. If your check engine light is flashing, it usually means that there is a major problem in your engine — and that you might need to start considering new Buick vehicles in Bensalem.
- Low fuel light. Your low fuel light resembles a gas pump. When you see your low fuel light come on, you should start searching for a place to stop for gas as soon as possible.
- Tire pressure light. This light looks like an oval with an exclamation mark inside, and lets you know that there is something off about the air inside your tires. Sometimes it’s as simple as stopping at a gas station to add air, but you may also want to make sure your tire is not punctured or damaged.
- ABS light. If you see the letters “ABS” in a circle come up on your dash, you should think about getting service on your vehicle right away. This light denotes an issue with your anti-lock braking system, and failure to address it could be catastrophic.
- Seatbelt reminder. Do you buckle up every time you drive? Your seatbelt reminder (indicates by a light resembling a person sitting in a car with a buckled seatbelt) is simply a reminder to buckle up before you hit the road. Newer vehicles may also include seatbelt monitors and alerts for passengers as well as the driver.
Is your vehicle on its last legs? Faulkner Buick GMC Trevose specializes in new and used Buick auto sales in Bucks County. Give us a call today at 267-984-4658 to learn more and get started on the way to the safe vehicle you need!